Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Treasure Hunt....




Imagine yourself on the beach, barefoot.....strolling. Feel the sand squish between your toes, the salty air breezing through your hair, the sound of crashing waves, seagulls overhead....just be there. Enjoy the scenery, the sounds and the smells. You are there looking for treasures....

Searching for shells is one of my favorite things to do...it's a get-away from thought as I fully engage in the search. Journaling can be this too.... This morning, I found myself stewing in unproductive thoughts and all it took was sitting down to write for a moment...it took my mental attention in a new direction....and those thoughts I was sitting on slowly dissipated.

The "treasure hunt" offers another lesson - just like on the beach the same is true for life...it's up to us to do the looking and searching for the "treasures" in our daily world. What treasures are you finding today?

2 comments:

AriZona said...

Carla- when in Finisterre, Spain I spend many hours collecting shells. This too, is a favorite of mine, on any beach. I get so lost while walking the beach, slowly this way and then I'll turn around and walk back, stopping here and there to find the perfect shell. The 'perfect shell' is not perfect at all, it's just perfect to me...broken edges, coloring, the feel of the shell, rendering it perfect. My feet pressing into the sand as the cool water drifts over them, while listening to the roar of the ocean. Could anything be more soothing, meditative or magical? -AriZona

Unknown said...

Just a few months before my Father passed away my father, sister and I had a chance to walk along the beach together- something the three of us had not done together since my sister and I were younger. My fathers tradition was to look for little white round stones and bring them back home to place in his back yard. My sister and I were happy to help as we knew it would add to his beautiful colection of hundreds back home. When my father passed away I thought it would be a good idea to give each person attending the funeral a special part of him- a special white round stone that he had collected through out the years.